Valkaria Airport is located in the southeast portion of Brevard County and nine miles south of Melbourne, Florida, in the Town of Grant-Valkaria. Valkaria Airport (FAA LID: X59) is a public-use airport located on Valkaria Road, approximately 1.7 miles west of U.S. 1.
Additional information can be found at Wikipedia.
The airport was originally constructed by the U.S. Navy during World War II as Outlying Field Valkaria (OLF Valkaria), an auxiliary airfield to Naval Air Station Melbourne, now Melbourne International Airport.
Valkaria Airport, 1943
OLF Valkaria was closed in late 1945 and did not reopen for flight operations until 1959. During the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s, the site was used as a Missile Trajectory Measurement (MISTRAM) station by the U.S. Air Force and NASA in support of launch operations at Cape Canaveral AFS and Kennedy Space Center. For additional information on MISTRAM, see additional information here.
The Valkaria Missile Tracking Annex (MISTRAM)
In 1959, the United States Department of Defense and the General Services Administration conveyed that part of the Valkaria facility not dedicated to MISTRAM to the county government of Brevard County, Florida for use as a public airport. Air / NAV information can be found at here.
Valkaria Airport 2008 (looking west from the lagoon)